Twins for NZ parents whose triplets died in Villaggio fire
The New Zealand parents who lost triplets last year in the deadly Villaggio Mall fire, have announced the birth of their newly born twins.
Their two-year-old triplets, Lillie, Jackson and Willsher Weekes, were among the 13 children all under the age of 7 who suffocated on May 28, 2012, in Gympanzee, an unlicensed children’s play area.
"The sad thing is that Lillie, Jackson and Willsher weren't there to greet them.," said Martin Weekes, father of the lost triplets.
The blaze also killed six other individuals, giving a total of 19 dead, and 17 injured.
A Qatari court sentenced five people to six years jail for negligence over the blaze in June.
The fire was attributed to an electricity malfunction, which caused a florescent light bulb in the ceiling of Nike sports shop to burst. The bulb components then fell onto storage boxes below, igniting them, and causing the flames to spread.
The smoke rapidly engulfed the Gympanzee play area above it. Within a matter of minutes from when the fire began, Gympanzee was transformed into a death trap.
The Villaggio Mall fire has since been dubbed Qatar’s worst tragedy in recent memory.