MAKE SHAWARMA AT HOME
Good luck and bonne apetit!
* 1/2 pound lamb meat, cut into strips
* 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into strips
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 onion, minced
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/2 cup lemon juice
* 1/2 cup vinegar
* 6 large sections pita bread
* 2 tomatoes, chopped
* 6 slices pickled eggplant (optional)
* 3 serrano or jalapeno chilies, stems and seeds removed, chopped
* Yoghurt to taste
Place meat in a glass bowl. In another bowl, combine the spices, salt, garlic, onion, bay leaf, lemon juice, and vinegar, stir well, and pour it over the meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Drain meat from the marinade and pat dry. Grill meat over a hot charcoal or gas fire until done, about 10 minutes, turning often. Divide meat into pita bread sections, add tomatoes, pickled eggplant if using, chilies, and a tablespoon or more of yoghurt.