Qatar reiterates stand that the 2022 FIFA World Cup is not up for negotiation
Two days ago, a top Dubai official admitted that the illegal siege of Qatar, which began on June 5, had been created to take the 2022 FIFA World Cup away from Qatar.
The series of tweets, made by senior security official Dhahi Khalfan, had invited an immediate backlash following which the officer was forced to say it was his ‘personal observations.’
However, Qatar hit back strongly, saying it proved that the illegal blockade was based more on petty issues than substantial reasons.
Yesterday, the country drove home the point that the 2022 FIFA World Cup was not up for discussion or negotiation in any way, reported Gulf Times.
Qatar Government Communications Office Director HE Sheikh Saif bin Ahmed bin Saif Al Thani said the UAE’s demand showed weak attempts to justify the illegal blockade.
“Their weak attempts to tie the hosting of the 2022 FIFA World Cup to their illegal blockade show their desperation to justify their inhumane action,” Sheikh Saif noted, adding there has never been a legitimate reason for the illegal blockade of Qatar, and “this is further proof of that.”
“The UAE's demand is a clear attempt to undermine our independence. The World Cup, like our sovereignty, is not up for discussion or negotiation,” Qatar Tribune quoted the top official as saying.
He said Qatar will host the first World Cup of the Middle East and its positive benefits will extend beyond the country to the entire region.