I have two daughters, newly admitted in NIS Lagoon and over the last two weeks, I have encountered several issues with this school. List of these issues have been issued in four pages email to the head of the primary and he promised to resolve, but I am quite disappointed from NIS. Examples are:
1. The homework website: Found to be a mess, in terms of inconsistency between the name of files and it contents (contradiction). For example, the file name is "monkey" while the contents are for crab, the contents of another file is about dogs while the file name is "elephant". Isn't it confusion and waste of time?
2. Me as a father for two students, after printing the homework for the two girls, I found out that I could not differentiate between homework for each one. There is no indication that this page for which year or group or even for which week of the year.
3. There are no clear instructions in the planner about which pages in which days, I mean, I could not prioritize the homework or divide it on the days of the week.
4. Homework has been issued without completing its studying at school. How can students be able to complete the homework alone without studying the same at school? Is it the school intention for parents to study first at home? Good example to this is the science for Y2, which is talking about Carbohydrates and Proteins; do you expect students at this age and year of study to know? Another good example is the timetable, how can students complete that at home without study at school.
5. The amount of weekly homework as downloaded and printed is too much, if the student will find the time at home to complete provided prior study at school, when will the teacher find the time to review and correct? I believe at the end of the day, it will be on the account of the student.
6. The space left for student to write the homework is too small for an adult to fill in these spaces with write answer, how about children whom will need double space.
7. "Parents welcome evening"! It is not really evening. Evening for me is after working hours, not during daytime where we cannot escape from office. Not only that, the notice is very short (letter on 23 Sep and you need us to attend a meeting on 25Sep).
8. The rude attitude of the telephone switch operator.
9. Lack of internal coordination, like for example the bus transportation...
10. We have been asked to print the homework at home with a claim that this will save the environment, I believed in that for a while and thought about it and found out that this is not correct and misleading. The correct approach and original intention from the school is to save the money, not the environment. Simply school wanted to save the cost related to papers for printing and resources (machines and human) required for this task for it to be performed by parents on parents' account. Sorry to say, it is sneaky attitude from NIS.
11. In addition to the above item, the school has claimed that books cost will be borne/absorbed by the school at the registration time, while now we are paying the cost related to printing. Not only that and most importantly is the quality of the paper.
12. We have been requested to purchase certain books. This approach would be fine and acceptable if it is open only to the type of books not specific books from a specific bookstore, which means that there is a business between school and this store. And this gives the opportunity for this single sourcing to take parents for right!
It is concluded to me from the above that NIS is "money-oriented" not”An international community of learners striving for excellence and celebrating success” this is just code without application!
If some of you have their children their and facing similar problem, please share with us your experience and let us put hand in hand and complain to the SEC.
Click here to learn more.
This school gets a lot of publicity lately!
your concerns are genuine, report it to SEC( supreme education council) or whatever education regulatory body exists.
we feel for you. our kid is in DRING newton. same sentiments!
I have the same concerns and more...more disturbing. I know it is difficult in Qatar, but you should get your children out when an opportunity arises. I would suggest that to all parents.
It is not for joking by the way, it is serious issue!
Do not underestimate others!
It is not for joking by the way, it is serious issue!
Do not underestimate others!
I have 2 kids studying there, and I personally don't think your concerns above are a problem. For me, the teachers are great and that is the most important thing. You can not expect a perfect school.
We have a child at D ring campus and I agree with your sentiments at item #s 6,7,9,10,11, and 12.
What does the teacher do if you are the one having to spend all that time printing off all the homework? Sounds like they are just lazy to me. Their homework is your homework. Hahaha. And like you say, it's a paper-saving ploy.
Don't kids usually bring their homework home from school anyway?
Unfortunately, the whole Newton system seems to be in the toilet. An awful lot of negative parent feedback lately.
My advice is to tough it out while you get on the waiting lists for better schools.
Agree with Bachus. I visited all of Newton schools and I could not bare the thought of sending my children there.
As for the "teachers are great" comment...well, it truly depends what teacher you get that year. There are about a handful of teachers that do the standard level of teaching(considering the school keeps changing their "curriculum" and "accreditation" source). The good or real teachers don't last there because they realise that management is horrible and the school is far from any type of institute of education.
I consider teaching and the institute of educating our youth a high rewarding occupation. It is ashame that Newton considers itself part of that realm!
my freind took her child out in D ring, because her teacher was smoking and her child came home with lots of smok smiles, all her clothes was like in ashtray, most of the teacher are smoking spectialy PK I know her name was MIS, JANE and her evils freinds, stay away PLZ.
Can anyone give me solid review on newton British school allocated in Waab, and what is the differences between it and other newton branches ?
My daughter has been there since reception and |had minimal issues. Staff were always helpful and friendly. However the biggest problem is the school is moving to the new Barwa...........as of Sept 2013. That is the biggest problem at the moment as the location is an inconvenience and will mean an extra hour allocated per trip per day for my daughter. I live in Al Waab........... please be aware of their move...........
Good Day to everyone, did any of you noticed that when you move your kids from a U.S Grading system to the U.K British system they will always make you lose a year, example Grade 1 in US system is Year 2 in UK system (4 Different researches on the internet proves the point) so whenever you move your kids to Qatar and as usual there is no free space in school so you go with whats available, but i don't think the Newton International School is trying to explain the British Curriculum to the SEC so they just go by the rules of Grade 1 = Year 1, so they don't care, this year so far my Kids had rarely homework and i always receive papers that we need to pay this we need to pay that, on top of it the school as management are very arrogant they don't like to get involved in what is Right or Wrong as they are so scared to disturb the owners of the school, the principal just told me well its their country they decide what they want!!!! i was thinking what type of principal doesn't like to get involved in explaining the British Year System compared to the American Grade System, don't understand me wrong i like the school as a property and the teachers are great but they can't change any situation, the school should go to the SEC and explain that every time they receive new Kids in the school some of them are losing a year of their life just because no one wants to get involved in the conversation with the SEC they are scared from a penalty to be paid. I will not sleep over this i will fight it to the end, i am just putting my comment for the people around so they know what is happening when they will move to Qatar, Are you willing to make your kids lose a year if yes Newton is the place or better go put them in a Grade system.
i wanted to apply there as a teacher.. but all the email ids on their websites are not correct.. all my mails r sent back to me.. and the receptionist has even given me a wrong email id, she couldn't even understand English. i was thinking to admit my kids here.. but by looking at your comments.. i don't feel like doing it at all..
can anyone tell me how is that newton school in westbay...as ai want to put my son into KG1