QL's top 7 picks of the week - 11th February, 2018

Qatar Living
By Qatar Living

Every Sunday, the Qatar Living content team will share their personal recommendations for everything from apps to films and brunches this week in Qatar. As a multinational group, there's a diversity of choices and preference that we hope will cater to everybody.

Jorge GrandaHead of Content

1. Spice Market at W Doha

Spice Market is one of my favorite restaurants in Qatar. Every time I have dined at Spice Market my experience has been terrific. I love the decor, that is classy, but at the same time chic and cosmopolitan. The service you get there from the staff is hard to beat. It is the best attention one can get in a restaurant here in Qatar. My favorite dish there is the Chicken Pad Thai. The sushi at Spice Market is by far the best in Doha. If you are feeling romantic this Wednesday night, I recommend trying their promotion. For QR 250 pp from 6:00 p.m. till 11:00 p.m. you can enjoy a fantastic 3-course dinner and enjoy the lovely music.

For reservations call: 4453-5133

(PC: W Doha Hotel and Residences)

Mohamed NoorMarketing & PR Manager

2. Play it to win it this National Sports Day

Qatar will be celebrating its 7th National Sports Day this Tuesday and I thought of joining in on the activities this year. If you're looking to put your fitness to the test and win something while at it, get yourselves to the Marriott Marquis City Center lobby.

I know I have nothing to worry about because regardless of your fitness level, participants who are able to reach a set target will get the chance to win day passes, vouchers to Saray Spa, free drinks at Quick Bites and more.

You can drop by the Marriott Marquis City Center lobby anytime between 9 am and 5 pm on February 13th, Tuesday and have a go on their treadmill.

Shaun MyburgDigital & Content Strategist

3. Tofu House (Bin Mahmoud)

Hidden away in one of Bin Mahmoud's side streets, Tofu House is my most recent neighbourhood discovery. However, it seems like I may be late to the party as is evident by how busy Tofu House is. If you're looking for mouthwatering Asian (namely Korean) food, then Tofu House is worth your time.

Their menu is decently priced, but the real value is in the size of the portions. I went with my significant other, and tried the Jjambbong (spicy noodle soup with seafood) and Spicy Stir Fried Squid, both were so good we have ended up sharing both plates. The dumplings are on point for anyone craving momos, and who doesn't crave momos... like, all the time? Oh, and don't forget to pop into the Korean grocer next door for some awesome deals.

Jordan dela CruzVideo Producer

4. Suikoden II (1998)

If you like Role Playing Games (RPGs) like Final Fantasy or Persona, then you are doing yourself a massive disservice if you have not played Suikoden II yet. Hands down one of the best RPGs of the 32-bit era, Suikoden II is centered around a trio of friends that are pushed into opposite sides of a war between neighboring nation states. It is both grandiose and intimate—using the standard tropes of the RPG genre to tell a bittersweet coming-of-age story and allowing you to make meaningful choices along the way.

The calibre of world building and storytelling on display in the game makes it feel like an eastern Game of Thrones. And though the game was released almost 20 years ago, the 2D graphics, excellent art design and earworm-infested soundtrack have made it age extremely gracefully.

Suikoden II is available on the PlayStation store. Play it if you miss home.

Waddah AdamVideo Producer

5. Johnny Rockets

I'm usually not a picky eater unless it involves burgers and sandwiches. One burger joint that I can always count on for patties is Johnny Rockets.

This 50's inspired diner serves juicy burgers with flavors that are spot on, plus, their customer service is exceptional.

They have quite a few outlets in Qatar but I usually go to the one in Al-gharrafa.

If you haven't tried their burgers before, I would highly recommend that you start with their bacon cheddar burger. Complete the meal with one of their signature milkshakes and you've got yourself a delicious time.

Camille TindoganDigital Graphic Designer

6. Dr. Who

I started watching this show called Dr. Who, and this is binge material right here. It’s about a time traveler called the Doctor. He’s an extraterrestrial from the planet Gallifrey, travelling in a spaceship called the TARDIS which looks like a blue police box, which was a common sight in 1963 when the show first aired. He is accompanied by multiple companions where they combat a number of different enemies throughout the show.

Mariam MahsudCreative Content Producer

7. 10 Items or Less (2006)

If you're having a bad day, this is one of those light, but meaningful, feel-good films that will put you in a better mood. Aside from the fact that 10 Items or Less stars two great actors—Paz Vega and Morgan Freeman—it has a great soundtrack and road trip movie feel to it.

The story follows Morgan Freeman, who plays, well, himself pretty much, and Scarlet (Paz Vega), a cashier. Freeman visits a grocery store on the outskirts of Los Angeles in the hopes of gaining some inspiration for a role as a supermarket manager. He accidently becomes stranded, without a ride back or a cell phone, and meets Scarlet, who agrees to give him a ride home, but only after she attends an interview for the position of a secretary.

The two hit it off, and lots happens, including some great conversations. Watch it!

Let us know in the comments below if you liked our picks for this week. Have a great week ahead and do try some of our recommendations.

Ratings calculated automatically using technology developed at QCRI and MIT.

Click here to learn more.