QP signs deal with Chevron Phillips to develop petrochemical plant in the US

QP signs deal with Chevron Phillips to develop petrochemical plant in the US

By QLNews

In one of the agreements signed during His Highness the Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani’s visit to the US, Qatar Petroleum (QP) has once again teamed up with Chevron Phillips Chemical Company (CPCC) to focus efforts on building a world-class petrochemical project.

The new project will be developed in the Gulf Coast region of the US and is estimated to cost around $8bn.

The US Gulf Coast II Petrochemical Project (USGC II) will have an ethylene cracker with a capacity of 2mn tons per year, making it the largest cracker in the world.

It will also include two high-density polyethylene units with a capacity of 1mn tons per year each. 

The signing of the agreement took place at the White House, in the presence of HH the Amir and the US President Donald Trump. 

HE the Minister of State for Energy Affairs Saad Sherida Al Kaabi, also the President and CEO of Qatar Petroleum, and President & CEO of Chevron Phillips Chemical, Mark E. Lashier, initialed the agreement.

Under the pact, QP will own a 49 percent share in the USGC II project, while CPCC will own the remaining 51 percent share.

CPCC will provide project management and oversight and will be responsible for the operation and management of the facility. 

“This is the second agreement of its kind in as many weeks, with our trusted partner, Chevron Phillips Chemical, to further cement the strong partnership between our two companies and to complement Qatar Petroleum’s international portfolio in the United States, which is a core growth area for us as we believe it has great prospects and growth opportunities,” Al Kaabi said.

“Qatar Petroleum’s financial strength, its commitment to safety as a core value and shared belief in our strategy to build facilities located close to competitive feedstocks make this an ideal relationship,” the CPCC CEO said.

Just last month, QP had announced a joint venture with CPCC to build the largest ethane cracker in the Middle East.

The region's biggest ethane processing plant will be embedded within a massive petrochemical complex, which will be set up in Qatar’s Ras Laffan Industrial area.

--

Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.

Instagram - @qatarliving

Twitter - @qatarliving

Facebook - Qatar Living

Cover Image: photo is for illustrative purposes only

 

Log in or register to post comments
Silatech joins hands with UN human rights body for youth empowerment

Silatech joins hands with UN human rights body for youth empowerment

In another stride toward better opportunities for the youth, Silatech and the United Nations High Commission for Human Rights have teamed up to develop programs for global youth empowerment.
Exciting events lined up for Summer in Qatar this July

Exciting events lined up for Summer in Qatar this July

This summer, Qatar is offering residents and visitors an opportunity to relish some of the best retail offers, promotions, and discounts along with exciting events across the nation.
HBKU student recognized for outstanding research on diabetes

HBKU student recognized for outstanding research on diabetes

The International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSSCR) has honored a PhD student at Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) College of Health and Life Sciences (CHLS) with a merit award for outstanding research.
Tips to maintain your car during summer

Tips to maintain your car during summer

It's time to see if your car is ready for the high temperatures as this can be tough on a vehicle. Here are a few pointers to help make sure you and your vehicle are ready for Qatar's summer.