You know you are Sri Lankan if...
I didn't want to leave our Sri Lankan friends feeling ignored so here goes.
You know you’re Sri Lankan if…
1. Everything you eat is savored in garlic, onion and chili.
2. You try and re-use gift wrappers, gift boxes, and of course aluminum foil.
3. You try to eject food particles from between your teeth by pressing your tongue against them and making a peculiar noise like, "tshick, tshick!"
4. You are standing next to the two largest size suitcases at the Airport.
5. You arrive one or two hours late to a party - and think it’s normal.
6. You peel the stamps off letters that the Postal Service missed to frank.
7. Your toilet has a plastic bowl next to the commode.
8. You name your children in rhythms (example, Honey & Money, Sita & Gita, Ram & Shyam).
9. All your children have pet names, which sound nowhere close to their real names .
10. You take Sri Lankan snacks anywhere it says "No Food Allowed."
11. You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone’s house.
12. You load up the family car with as many people as possible.
13. You use plastic to cover anything new in your house whether it’s the remote control, VCR, carpet or new couch.
14. Your parents tell you to not care about what your friends think but they won’t let you do certain things because of what the other "Uncles and Aunties" will think.
15. Owning a rice cooker is a top priority.
16. You live with your parents and you are 40 years old. (And they like it that way).
17. If she is NOT your daughter, you always take interest in knowing whose daughter has run with whose son and feel it’s your duty to spread the word.
18. You only make long distance calls after 11 p.m.
19. If you don’t live at home, when your parents call, they ask if you’ve eaten, even if it’s midnight.
20. When your parents meet Sri Lankans for the first time and talk for a few minutes, you soon discover they are your relatives.
21. Your parents don’t realize phone connections to foreign countries have improved in the last two decades, and still scream at the top of their lungs while talking.
22. You have bed sheets on your sofas so as to keep them away from getting dirty.
23. Its embarrassing if your wedding has less than 600 people.
24. You list your daughter as "fair and slim" in the matrimonial no matter what she looks like.
25. Your dad is some sort of engineer or doctor.
26. An Asian woman comes on campus and people ask, "Is that your mother? Well then, is it your sister?"
27. Your relative’s houses smell like incense, mothballs, or both.
28. Your parents say, "Calculus? I took calculus in 8th grade!!"something along tha lines of...
29. "You want a stereo! When I was your age, I didn’t even have shoes!"
30. Your family owns a tennis racquet.
31. Your family owns butcher knives bigger than your head.
32. There is a sale on any item, you buy 100 of them.
33. You have a ’Singer Brother’ sewing machine at home.like an antique one haha
34. Your mother has a minor disagreement with her (or your dad’s) sister and doesn’t talk to her for ten years.
35. You hide everything from your parents.
36. Your mother does everything for you if you are male.
37. Your relatives alone could populate a small city.
38. You know no one who has studied music.
39. You went to a university as far away from home as possible.im going to haha
40. You teach Westerners swearwords in your language.i know a few wordz
41. You avoid public places when with a member of the opposite sex, especially if there is an acquaintance within a 250 miles radius.
42. You always say "open the light" instead of "turn the light on".
43. You secure your baggage with a rope.
44. You’re walking out of customs with your trolley at the airport and you see all twenty-five members of your family who have come to pick you up.
45. Your parents would freak out if your sister wore a crop top baring her midriff...but wearing a sari is perfectly acceptable.
46. Your parents are panicking if you aren’t married when you turn 25.
47. Your mother measures wealth in gold, diamonds, and Mercedes.
48. A horoscope must decide your wedding date.
49. Your parents drink 6 cups of tea a day.
50. You have cousins you have never met, whose names you don’t know, but who insist they’re related to you, even though they bear NO resemblance to...anyone YOU know.
51. Your parents push the concept of an arranged marriage on you and try and demonstrate how well it works whenever they’re not fighting.
52. The second you pull out of someone’s driveway, your parents start talking...about them.
53. No one ever seems to call ahead of time to say they are coming over for a visit.
54. You have really enjoyed reading this because you know most of it applies to you.
P.S. - It's a joke, not Iron clad rules, so don't take it seriously.
how do u manage to get so much time to write (search and copy-paste) the thesis!!!!
So whats cooking for tmrow? Madu/Haryanvi/Bhaiyya?
BTW i think Bhaiyya wud be good!
Waiting for ur thread! ;-)
britey i am not a Lankan in any angle, man...:)
but lankan babes are bootiful i say !:)
Looks like you are really upset with me. Check your BP,
hahaha brit .. Rizks plz answer to brit :P
brit, rizks had married 3 times already by the time he was 25, why would his parents panic?
I am confusedddddd ...
- You avoid public places when with a member of the opposite sex
- Your parents are panicking if you aren’t married when you turn 25.
Does this mean Rizks is Sri-Lankan ????
there is a thread for uncle herbie now... ;-)
abey herbert chal hut !!!
You can do all the wrong things the wrong way all the time.
You can do all the right things the right way all the time.
But you cannot do all the wrong things the right way all the time.
SA + Smart A**
deepb ok sunday open a thread abt enthuttra ( thrissurians ) :P
lo and behold the hijack is complete. Was Fatimah the only Srilankan to comment in this whole thread? :P
pajju - now i cant tell.. cos u told something else to Macky...
Check your AO man, maybe u have PILES, ha ha ha.
but im not an AO, I'm better than that... you wanna play the guessing game or you too old for that? :-P
Herbie Uncle !
Welcome back, damn u old man u take so much of time in toilet ? :(
We know u r suffering from Piles tat doesnt mean u leave QL and go like this...buy a laptop instead...:)
That's the CV of a guy who wants to come out to the gulf and for your information I just put it on QL for a friend's same who requested me if I could help him out.
Got it? Very smart AO.
a.k.a. Mr. DAMIAN G. MASCARENHAS??? ;-)
no Macky i cannot ,, coz me no go school :P
kem wat truth ? :)
Your profession = Administration Officer (AO)
Or is A**h*le?
Throw yourself into a D-Bin.
Pajju - should i tell Macky the truth ?
pajju i went to school and learned this many years back and am teaching my little son now.
can you write that"twinkle" again without google's help..LOL
Pajju is it again one of your Copy paste stuff ? :(
come pajju, this time you did your home work.. hurray.. !
Who is abusing what where? Is this the effect of some old childhood abuse creeping out now? You need to go see a psychiatrist for such cases. We really can't treat you here. Sorry.
Macky go n learn
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky!
Always does the trick!
my intention here is simple..even if its for joke,fun or whatever don't abuse people or culture.
get some prawn devil and defuse the tension ;-)
lol deep he is on vacation :P
this thread is on Sri Lankans & the only Lankan posting here is myself. Even those getting emotionally worked up here are not from SL. Er...am I missing something? Hello! its the "funnies" lighten up!
Now its clear...your pic and civilization really match...
we are human(deepb Excluded)..theres big gap between us to discuss something..first try to be human then we will talk
until then take care
Yalla Bara Pajju, don't interfere. Or I will call your boss and tell him you are on QL :P
can someone throw Herber Uncle on Macky plz...:)
Hell no, I'm done making threads of that kind... lol!!!
Some people here don't know how to take things like that in good humour, despite writing it in BOLD... ;-)
Who lost civilization? WTF, I do not speak idian or mayan or whatever language you are trying to speak in.....
You were expecting ? Not pregnant anymore you mean? Miscarriage? And then you were going to name your expected baby Colt45 and keep him/her as your servant? Child Labor is illegal!!! Who is sick again?
So many questions, So little answers......
who lost civilization is really visible from your profile pic..are you really look the same?
indians got very bad habit of abusing other culture and people...if you look at QL many of these kind of posts are always posted by Indian..they think they are MR Perfect...
find good in you..find good in other and appreciate..if you find bad in them advice..dont abuse in public..thats what a real human will do...hope you all are real humans
“There are many human being but only few being real human”
yes i didn't' cos i was expecting my servant(COLT45)..are you sick today???
Don't worry I don't get intimidated by internet forum posts.
I would do the Aussie one myself but then mj would get on my case and start threatening to stalk and beat me up with drmana....... Real life threats from crazed women stalkers should be taken seriously!!!
there you go... i am eager to know more about Australia though i doubt Colt would know any better.
dont get intimidated by my comments mate... they are always meant to be on the surface...
try this. "GOOS FRABA"
Ex are you feeling sad the Aussies got left out? I am sure colt will work one up for you next week. This isn't really mockery and it was posted about my state and country and I found it rather funny. NEXT
/scratches head... Who be these idians? Lost civilization along with the mayans?
i too noticed Indians settle to mockery when they want to 'break the ice' exactly... well take precautions guys.. u might just break hearts :P
some of these applicable to malayalees also..
If you don’t live at home, when your parents call, they ask if you’ve eaten, even if it’s midnight
i like this part
i experienced this alot...
yes macky ur rite :D
Did you forget to take your medication this morning? :-P
me? a meaner?? oh dear no,.. well, maybe sometimes, but only when the situation calls for it.. :)
What what!!! Pulling legs? My chicken legs will fall off if they are pulled....
Yeah I guessed so...your not really one to be a meaner!
FathimaH, I was just pulling his leg, deepb knows that...
please stop it
oh boo-hoo deepb! :P
deepb didn't want me to feel left out..See my happy grin now? =D
we do have a lot in common with keralites! In any case my mom is Indian so it makes sense..all in all these threads have been hilariously uplifting & if anyone sees it as "negative" & "bashing" then boy it sure must suck been so oversensitive!
But But But, poor Fatimah.. she asked me to do it yesterday and I already delayed it to today.... mj you are very mean to me . /cry
How come you have this type of attitude Kannur not Calicut. Even in Kerala you have differences? How can one make out the difference between a Kannur and Calicut person?
lol deepb, at least give it a break even for just a day,.. it's like diarrhoea already...
STOP IT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
andrews, take it easy buddy...QL has witnessed enough of such threads for last few days...SO chill and relax..
Well....all these points applies to Keralites too...
May be coz they are neighbours..
What a crap
This will end when the 195 different countries and all the states inside them for bigger countries are covered!
Awesome stuff...Ah!deepb made my day..ha ha!agree with most of em,if not all! Specially loved "You arrive one or two hours late to a party - and think it’s normal." I tend to annoy many of my non Lanki friends when this happens yet always expect it from fellow Lankans! Oh & "Your parents drink 6 cups of tea a day" is perfectly normal worldwide,right?lol..TFS deepb =D
when will this end?
disturbing for what ? am from kannur not calicut :P
DO NOT DISTURB. But Pajju keeps disturbing....AND ENOUGH HIJACKING!!!!
Where is Fatimah and our other Sri Lankan friends?
hey deep, even i'd noticed DND yesterday but forgot to ask u..what's that??
deepb wats tat "DND" in ur signature note ?
No I get love pm's from Pajju only. I don't know if Pajju is one of the mod uncles but.
deepb hav u not received any love PM's from the Mod Uncle's Yet ? :)
were is tat bugger Colt ?
Delhi was done already I think. Haryana, don't know many people from there.... will leave it to colt.
yaaaaaaaaaar not again!!!!!
deep, how about few threads on DELHITYES, HARYANVIS??
lol now u wait for srilankans :P