How to prevent heat illness at work
Outdoor and indoor heat exposure can be dangerous in Qatar currently. New and returning workers need to build a tolerance to heat (acclimatize) and take frequent breaks.
Here are some ways to prevent heat illness:
1. Drink cool water
Drink cool water even if you are not thirsty, at least one cup every 20 minutes.
2. Take rest breaks
Take enough time to recover from the heat given the temperature, humidity, and conditions.
3. Find shade or a cooler area
Take breaks in a designated shady or cool location.
4. Dress for the heat
Wear a hat and light-colored, loose-fitting, and breathable clothing if possible.
5. Watch out for each other
Monitor yourself and others for signs of heat illness.
6. If wearing a face covering
Change your face covering if it gets wet or soiled.
The following are signs of medical emergency:
- Abnormal thinking or behavior
- Slurred speech
- Loss of consciousness
First aid for heat illness:
- Call 999 immediately
- Cool the worker right away with water or ice
- Stay with the worker until help arrives
- If the worker experiences headache or nausea, give some water to drink.
- If the worker is weak and dizzy, remove unnecessary clothing.
- If the worker is feeling hot or heavily sweating, take him to a cool area.
- If the body temperature rises, cool down with water, ice, or a fan.
Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.
Instagram - @qatarliving
Twitter - @qatarliving
Facebook - Qatar Living
YouTube - qatarlivingofficial
Source: MoPH Qatar