Cabinet acknowledges first Shura Council election's successful outcome
During its regular weekly meeting, the Cabinet praised the success of the Shura Council elections which reflected the Qatari people's awareness and understanding of their national responsibilities and duties.
HE the Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al-Thani chaired the Cabinet's regular meeting held at the Amiri Diwan today.
The Cabinet stated that Qatar's first Shura Council elections is a historic achievement for HH the Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-rational Thani's policy and wise vision, as well as his desire to increase public participation in the legislative and oversight process.
According to the Cabinet, this reflects His Highness' faith in the Qatari people's ability to exercise their constitutional rights with the highest levels of awareness and national responsibility.
The Council congratulated the Shura Council's newly elected members and wished them well in their tasks and responsibilities. It also expressed a desire for the government and the Council to work together closely, fruitfully, and constructively in everything that benefits the country and its citizens.
The Cabinet also expressed Qatar's solidarity with the Sultanate of Oman and its support for its efforts to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Shaheen, which hit some parts of the Sultanate, as well as its sincere condolences and sympathy to the government, the brotherly Omani people, and the families of the hurricane victims, and wished a speedy recovery to the injured.
HE the Minister of Public Health briefed the Cabinet on the latest developments and efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19. The Cabinet affirmed the continuation of work with the procedures and precautionary measures that have been taken in order to combat this pandemic.
Moreover, a number of topics were discussed during the meeting as per the agenda and the following decision were taken.
Firstly, the approval of a draft decision of the Minister of Interior to amend some provisions of Resolution No. 51 of 2016 on the formation of the Migrant Workers Exit Permit Grievances Committee.
Secondly, the approval of a draft decision of the Minister of Municipality and Environment amending some provisions of the executive regulations of Law No. 30 of 2002 Promulgating the Law of the Environment Protection.
Thirdly, the Cabinet reviewed the two following issues and took the appropriate decision:
- The reports of the Permanent Water Resources Committee on its work during the period from July 1, 2020, until June 30, 2021.
The Permanent Water Resources Committee stated that it examined a number of topics relating to the groundwater axis, treated wastewater axis, desalinated water axis, and the axis of the country's water resources policies, strategies, and regulations, and made appropriate recommendations.
- Results of the International Conference for the Recovery of Stolen Funds, held in Baghdad during September 2021.
The State of Qatar participated in the conference with a delegation headed by HE the Minister of Justice. Among the recommendations issued during the conference are the following:
- Emphasis on the principle of good faith in the implementation of international legal obligations in the field of recovering looted funds, and what is required to return illegally obtained funds and assets to the country requesting recovery.
- The importance of the relevant authorities of the country requesting recovery to study the provisions of the procedural laws relevant to the country that owns the looted funds, and to take them into account while preparing the recovery requests.
- The importance of building trust between the requesting countries and the countries receiving requests for asset recovery, creating a culture of mutual legal assistance for the benefit of the requesting country, and paving the way for the success of international cooperation.
Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.
Instagram - @qatarliving
Twitter - @qatarliving
Facebook - Qatar Living
YouTube - qatarlivingofficial