Qatar inks deal to set up QR1.7 billion solar power plant
Qatar's focus on environment-preservation and sustainability has grown stronger in recent years.
In a major move that will help the country pursue its renewable energy goals, Qatar has locked a deal with France's Total Solar International and Japan's Marubeni to establish the QR1.7 billion Al-Kharsaah Solar Power Plant, which will have a total capacity of 800MW.
Covering an area of 10 square kilometers, the one-of-a-kind solar power plant will be set up in the Al-Kharsaah area, West Doha.
Once fully functional, the plant is expected to meet 10 percent of the country's current peak electricity demand.
Qatar General Electricity & Water Corporation (KAHRAMAA) president engineer Essa bin Hilal Al Kuwari, Qatar Electricity and Water Company (QEWC) general manager and managing director and Siraj Energy board of directors member Fahad bin Hamad Al Mohannadi, Marubeni Corporation president and CEO Masumi Kakinoki, and Total chairman and CEO Patrick Pouyanné were among the signatories of the project's deal.
His Excellency the Prime Minister and Interior Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani and HE the Minister of State for Energy Affairs and Qatar Petroleum (QP) president and CEO Saad Sherida Al Kaabi witnessed the signing of the deal.
Under the agreement, KAHRAMAA in its capacity as the Transmission and Distribution System Owner and Operator (TDSOO) in Qatar will buy electricity from Siraj1, which is owned by Siraj Energy (a QP and QEWC joint venture).
Siraj Energy will hold a 60 percent stake in the project while the remaining 40 percent will be held by Marubeni and Total.
The project follows a Build, Own, Operate, and Transfer (BOOT) model and has a term of 25 years, after which the ownership will be transferred to KAHRAMAA, QP said in a press release.
The Al Kharsaah Solar Power Plant stems from Qatar's desire to reduce dependence on fossil fuels, lower carbon emissions and increase energy efficiency by diversifying sources of electricity production.
During its life span, the plant is expected to cut down 26 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions well in line with Qatar's National Program for Conservation and Energy Efficiency, Tarsheed's mission to reduce 1 million tonne of carbon emissions every year until 2022.
HE the Minister of State for Energy Affairs said, "This project is in line with Qatar’s policy to diversify the production of energy and to increase reliance on renewable energy, which is a basic cornerstone for a sustainable future."
"This project also comes as part of the energy sector’s contributions towards Qatar’s commitment to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup. It will generate about eight times the size of the solar energy Qatar had pledged in the FIFA World Cup bid to ensure organization of a carbon-neutral event," HE Al Kaabi added.
Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.
Instagram - @qatarliving
Twitter - @qatarliving
Facebook - Qatar Living