Qatar urges FIFA to hold talks with it first regarding 48-team World Cup proposal

By QLNews

Qatar’s World Cup organisers have told FIFA it was ‘important’ to hold talks with them prior to taking any final decisions about expanding the 2022 tournament from 32 to 48 teams, reported Gulf Times.

In the first response by Qatar since the shock news that FIFA is looking at bringing forward its plan to increase the number of World Cup teams by four years, Qatar also said it was confident it could still deliver a ‘successful’ tournament, regardless of the final decision.

“Before any decision is taken, it’s important that discussions are held on the operations and logistics of an increase in size of the tournament in Qatar,” said a spokesperson for Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy.

“Regardless of the outcome, we’re confident in our ability to deliver a successful World Cup in 2022.”

Qatar was responding to a request by the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL), which on April 12 at its congress formally asked FIFA to introduce the plan to expand team numbers in time for Qatar.

FIFA had already agreed to enlarge the tournament for the 2026 edition.

CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez made the request in a letter handed to Gianni Infantino, who called it a ‘very interesting idea,’ before saying he would look into it.

By Molten Metal• 1 week 3 days ago.
Molten Metal

We need to have a balanced approach.

Log in or register to post comments