Qatargas gets serious about water conservation by using recycled water at refineries

By QLNews

Qatar, being a desert nation, has always appreciated the importance of water and its conservation. Over the years, several plans have been implemented to make conservation of water a reality.

QatarGas took a massive step in that direction yesterday when it successfully handed over a new water recycling facility at the Laffan Refinery 2, reported Gulf Times.

The refinery is now expected to drastically cut down water consumption and eliminate the discharge of treated industrial water into the sea.

Around 70% of the newly recycled water will be used as boiler feed and cooling water in the Laffan refineries. The remaining 30% is expected to be sent to the Ras Laffan Industrial City (RLIC) for irrigation purposes, QatarGas said in a statement.

Qatargas had given the engineering, procurement, supply, construction, and commissioning of the new water recycling facility to Qatar Kentz in September 2015.

The project is expected to further bolster QatarGas’s commitment to meet the highest environmental and quality standards.

Located inside the RLIC, the facility will handle treated industrial water from Laffan Refinery and LR2. The facility was completely constructed under budget, with zero time lost due to accidents and other problems, reported The Peninsula.

Qatargas is the largest producer of LNG in the world with an annual production capacity of 77m tonnes per annum (MTPA) from its facilities in RLIC.

Log in or register to post comments

Qatar’s Education ministry approves tuition fee hike for 28 schools in the country

The country’s education ministry has approved applications of 28 schools, out of 126 received, to increase their fees by 3 to 10% in the 2019-20 academic year. Check here if your child’s school is one of the institutions increasing fees.

The new Hamad emergency building is set to open this year

Prime Minister and Minister of Interior HE Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani paid an inspection visit to Hamad Hospital General Hospital's new emergency services building on Saturday.

Briton detained in UAE for wearing Qatari football tee-shirt details abuse he endured

26-year-old Ali Issa Ahmad, who was detained in the UAE and then released for allegedly wearing a Qatar football tee-shirt during the recent AFC Asian Cup, has spoken out about the abuse he had to endure at the hands of Emirati authorities.

Baladna launches Qatar’s first-ever locally produced long-life milk

Baladna Food Industries has commenced the third phase of its QR21m expansion by launching the country’s first-ever locally produced long-life milk.