QL's top 7 picks of the week - 16th April, 2018

Qatar Living
By Qatar Living

Every week, the Qatar Living content team will share their personal recommendations for everything from apps to films and brunches this week in Qatar. As a multinational group, there's a diversity of choices and preference that we hope will cater to everybody.

Jorge GrandaHead of Content

1. CUT by Wolfgang Puck

Knowing of Wolfgang Puck, one might say it’s no surprise that dining at CUT in the Mondrian Doha was an excellent choice. However, there are examples of restaurants under the patronage of world-class celebrity chefs where the experience does not meet the expectation. CUT did not disappoint though, and I enjoyed a delicious dinner with a wide variety of choices. If you are vegan or vegetarian (I am not) you’ll find that there are a wide range of tasty options. The ambience, hospitality and food at this restaurant are simply superb.

Breakfast: 6:30 - 10:30 am
Lunch: 12:00 - 3:00 pm
Dinner: 7:00 pm till midnight
Friday brunch: 12:30 to 4:00 pm

Call 4045 5999 for reservations.

(PC: Marhaba Qatar)

Mohamed NoorMarketing & PR Manager

2. Spring Break Festival

There’s a new festival in town, and this time it involves a circus. Spring Break Festival is specially tailored for the young souls in Qatar to enjoy and experience a one of a kind event.

The highlight of the festival is definitely the Italian Allegria Circus! Tickets are priced at QR 60 and can be bought on Q-Tickets or at the venue.

Not to forget the list of family activities, events, and slew of games and entertainment prepared for the young-spirited. There will be wall climbing, bouncy castles and soft bricks for the little ones.

Parents and other grown ups, don’t be disheartened, because you get to enjoy the great weather outdoors with some excellent food and drinks before the summer heat hits too hard.

Dates: April 11 – 21 
Timings: 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm

Shaun MyburgDigital & Content Strategist

3. Santa Clarita Diet (Netflix)

Out of pure boredom I decided to try this Netflix series which had been on my watch list for ages.
5 hours later, I was done with season 1 and eager to carry on, but alas, I had to get to the office the next morning. The storyline should be completely ridiculous, as it pertains to someone slowly turning into a Zombie and craving human flesh, but the leads Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant are so unbelievably charming that they constant have you laughing and caring about this suburban family nightmare they are stuck in. It is gory and disgusting like any zombie show should be, but the heart the series shows (figuratively), is immense, and it will have you cheering for the undead until their toes come off (literally).

Jordan dela CruzVideo Producer

4. COCONUT MOGU MOGU

The best thing about Qatar is the availability of Coconut Mogu Mogu at the local grocery stores.

Mogu-Mogu is a juice drink with small chunks of chewy Nata de Coco jelly. Nata de Coco, for those who do not know, is a chewy, gel-like food product that is sourced from coconut and is known for its high fiber, low fat and zero cholesterol content. Each bottle of Mogu Mogu contains about 25% of chewy Nata de Coco jelly, so you have a lot to munch on while savoring the flavor of the juice (the term “Mogu Mogu” itself is a Japanese onomatopoeia for eating or chewing). Coconut Mogu Mogu tastes absolutely natural and is not too sweet - a perfect drink for those seeking to quench their thirst during the unforgiving summers of the Middle East!

Please note that I am only endorsing the “Coconut” flavored Mogu Mogu (the ones in the white bottles). Putting Nata de Coco jelly in a coconut flavored drink just makes sense. The other flavors of Mogu Mogu offer a nonsensical and potentially disastrous combination of flavors: Nata de Coco and strawberry, Nata de Coco and grape, Nata de Coco and lychee, Nata de Coco and - no joke - mango.

These “mixed” Mogu Mogu are complete and utter abominations - especially the yellow ones with mango flavoring. Yellow Mogu Mogu tastes like battery acid, and tends to make you feel unclean and impure when ingested. This writer hopes that the right-minded people of the world - true believers in and advocates for the supremacy of Coconut Mogu Mogu - can come together to systematically purge Mango Mogu Mogu from the market. It will undoubtedly be hard. And there will, of course, be opposition from misguided advocates of “fruit-mixing”. But make no mistake: there needs to be a concerted and organized effort to rid stores of this vile yellow filth before it starts taking shelf-space away from purer flavors.

The world needs to find a “final solution” to the yellow Mogu Mogu problem.

Waddah AdamVideo Producer

5. Al Qarmouty Restaurant

This week I’m urging all of you seafood lovers out there to try Al Qarmouty restaurant in Ezdan Tower in West Bay.

I found the place by chance, while I was in the area, and I was surprised that the seafood experience I had there was better than a lot of others I've had when actively searching for seafood.

They serve a variety of Egyptian seafood, among other types of dishes. The service is good, and their big portion size is what sold it for me. If you’re looking for a new experience with seafood in Qatar, I’d definitely recommend you give it a try.

Camille TindoganDigital Graphic Designer

6. Fullmetal Alchemist (now on Netflix)

I’m pretty much on an Anime roll people, so this week is gonna be Fullmetal Alchemist, the first one not Brotherhood. It’s basically a story about two brothers who travel the world looking for the Philosopher’s Stone journeying to new lands, battling enemies, visiting and working with friends, finding out more of themselves and sacrificing for one another. For an anime this has a lot of depth to it, just go watch it. It’s on Netflix.

Mariam MahsudCreative Content Producer

7. The sandwiches at Monoprix

This may be a bit random, but I love stopping by to eat at Monoprix sometimes, especially if I need to pick up something last-minute from the grocery store there anyway. My favourite thing is their sandwiches. I usually pick the salmon, but they have great beef, chicken and veg options. You can sit and eat on the spot, whether it's at the West Bay or Doha Festival City branch. There are a range of other options to choose from, including fish and chips, and sometimes even steak. 

Let us know in the comments below if you liked our picks for this week. Have a great week ahead and do try some of our recommendations.

Don't forget to share your favourite experiences with us in Qatar. Let us know about the latest trends and happenings around the country and help us stay connected to the community. WhatsApp us at 33157575 and let us share your images, videos and anything interesting happening in our Qatar.

Ratings calculated automatically using technology developed at QCRI and MIT.

Click here to learn more.

Support Breast Cancer Awareness this October with Pink Afternoon Tea

To support the strong women fighting Breast Cancer, Sharq Village & Spa will host a 'Pink Afternoon Tea' throughout October.

Ambitious Qatari plant set to start manufacturing ‘Katara’ electric cars by 2022

Qatar Quality Trading Company and Japan’s ARM has come together to announce the setting up of an ambitious plan to manufacture indigenous electric cars in the country by 2022.

HH The Amir chairs a meeting to evaluate preparations for 2022 FIFA World Cup

HH The Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani chaired a meeting of top officials yesterday to evaluate the progress of different projects related to the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

WATCH: Qatari company hatches plans to manufacture electric cars inside the country

A Qatar-based company is set to join hands with a Japanese firm to manufacture electric cars of different sizes and capacities, within the country, by next year.