Rublev downs Moutet to become Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2020 champion

Rublev downs Moutet to become Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2020 champion

By QLNews

Tournament’s second-seeded player Andrey Rublev survived a second set resurgence by 20-year-old Corentin Moutet of France to claim the Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2020 title at the Khalifa International Tennis & Squash Complex yesterday.

It was the first title in Doha, after three attempts, for the 22-year-old Rublev who defeated his French opponent 6-2 7-6 (7-3) to lift the golden falcon trophy and the $227,930 winner’s prize money, and the Russian is assured of cracking the ATP Tour's top 20 for the first time when the new rankings are released tomorrow with the 250 points garnered from his victory.

 Tennis

The world No. 81 Moutet, a qualifier, was one of the major revelations of this tournament as he assumed the role of a giant slayer accounting for the exit of better-ranked players. The Frenchman wasted no time in dispatching fourth-seed Milos Raonic in the second round before overcoming Doha-resident Fernando Verdasco in a quarter-final game that lasted the whole of 2 hours and 12 minutes.

He subsequently defeated top-seed Stan Wawrinka in three sets to reach his first final at this level.

However, getting the better of Rublev - the runner-up in 2018 - proved too much of a challenge, with the promising 22-year-old kicking off his season by claiming a third ATP Tour title of his career.

Rublev did not drop a single set throughout the tournament and after taking a 6-1 lead in the second-set tie-break against Moutet he did not look like missing out on the trophy.

Rublev, who now has a 3-2 win record in five finals, was thrilled with his performance in Doha throughout the week.

“I have no words to describe my feelings. I am always really happy to play here. I enjoy playing in Doha. I enjoy my time here. And for me to finally win a title here is truly amazing,” Rublev said. “I hope I can have the same level in the coming weeks. Let’s see what happens,” the tall right-hander added.

“There is still much work to be done. I have worked hard to get here. I think there’s plenty of work to do. I think I have room to improve,” Rublev said about his impending top-20 breakthrough.

“I am always happy to be here. It is an amazing week for me,” Rublev said.

Meanwhile, Wesley Koolhof of the Netherlands and India's Rohan Bopanna clinched the men's doubles final title after staging a come-from-behind win over the unseeded duo of Luke Bambridge and Santiago Gonzalez in Doha on Friday.

Third seeds Koolhof and Bopanna defeated the British-Mexican pair 3-6, 6-2, 10-6 in the summit clash to win the first doubles title of the season and picked up 250 ATP points along with the $76,870 prize money.

The Indo-Dutch combination had earlier reached the final after beating second seeds Henri Kontinen and Franco Skugor 7-5, 6-2.

--

Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.

Instagram - @qatarliving

Twitter - @qatarliving

Facebook - Qatar Living

Cover Image Credit: Andreyrublev/ Instagram

 

Log in or register to post comments
Qatar ranked first in food security in MENA region

Qatar ranked first in food security in MENA region

Qatar was ranked number 1 in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region and number 13 globally in the Global Food Security Index for 2019.
Second Ihsan School for Arab children opens in Qatar

Second Ihsan School for Arab children opens in Qatar

The Second Ihsan School has opened its doors to underprivileged Arab children in Qatar under the collaborative efforts of Qatar's Ministry of Education and Higher Education, the Education Above All Foundation, Qatar Charity and Afif Foundation.
HMC introduces drones to enhance assessment of emergency scenes

HMC introduces drones to enhance assessment of emergency scenes

In its efforts to boost emergency services in Qatar, Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) Ambulance Service has now started using drones that will enable improved assessment of incident scenes. 
Qatar to supply Kuwait with 3 million tonnes of LNG annually for 15 years

Qatar to supply Kuwait with 3 million tonnes of LNG annually for 15 years

According to the agreement, the LNG deliveries will be sent through to Kuwait’s new world-class LNG receiving terminal at Al-Zour Port in 2022.