VIDEO: A Mangrove Forest in the Desert?
Purple Island is one of Qatar's best kept natural wonders. It's a perfect place for picnics and family outings - with lush mangrove forests that are home to a wide variety of fish, crabs, shellfish, and birds. Entrance to the island is FREE and it is easily acessible by car.
Have you taken your family on a Purple Island adventure yet?
How to get there
• Drive to Al Khor.
• Go through Al Khor town, following the signs to Al Thakhira (a nearby town). At the RasGas/Industrial Area roundabout, follow the sign to Al Thakhira.
• Continue to Al Thakhira, go past the turning for Al Khor Hospital and go past the turning for Al Khor Community.
• After roughly 2.5km from the RasGas/Industrial Area roundabout, turn right and continue for around 5km on an asphalt road. You will drive past a big water tank tower on your right, which has a Qatargas and RasGas logo on it.
• Pass the intersection on your left and continue for 200m. Look out for a small sign for the Flower Each Spring camp and after reaching this sign, turn onto the dirt track.
• Follow the firm and obvious dirt track. As you approach the pathway leading to the island, you will see a large building on your left.
• After approximately 2km, you will see the start of the raised pathway on your right.
• If you have arrived at the Flower Each Spring camp, you’ve gone too far! The pathway is behind you on your rear-right.
PC: KR Photograhy
I heard, now they excavated the walking path...
Better to get the update... before you go
Have been there many times and will go again ..