QL Tips: 8 ways you could land a job in Qatar
Qatar is one of the richest nations in the world, making this country a land of opportunities. With a strong economy, thanks to the oil and gas industry, job opportunities in other sectors have become stronger as well.
If you are planning to work here, then these tips will help you secure a job.
1. Using the services of employment agencies will help you save time and resources in looking for a job that is suitable for you. If you are seeking a job, an employment agency may be the answer to landing that dream position you've always wanted.
Employment agencies can open doors and provide opportunities by connecting with companies that need specific people for certain jobs and handling the searching process on their behalf. Employment agencies then match potential employees to specific companies, thus opening up interview opportunities.
2. The old-school way of browsing local classified ads is a good starting point. Look at newspapers like the Gulf Times or the Peninsula for jobs in Qatar that may be to your liking. Once you've spotted the ones that you are interested in, move on to contacting the companies through the contact details provided.
3. Not all of us check newspapers when technology and information is just at your fingertips. Browsing online job sites are easy, fast, and hassle-free. General online job sites will give you a better idea of the different companies that are hiring and provides plenty of options from different industries to help you make up your mind.
4. If you are a focused person and know what you are good at, try to browse industry-specific job sites that are relevant to your search. For example, if you are in the aviation industry, browse sites like Plane Jobs or if you are in the oil and gas industry, Oil Careers can be a good place to visit.
5. Are you interested in working for a large corporation in Qatar but they're not hiring at the moment? Send out a speculative CV. A speculative application essentially means that you are sending a request for a job although the employer is currently not looking into hiring.
Since there are no specific job descriptions or titles for you to refer to, designing your CV according to the company's requirements may be a challenge. Build your CV around your strengths and skills as well as other skills that may be relevant to a certain position you are interested in. Since we are in the topic of CV's, another suggestion is to upload your CV onto sites such as Bayt.com.
6. There is more to social networking than Facebook and Twitter. Make full use of professional networking sites like LinkedIn to get to know other professionals, especially those who work in your field of interest.
Spend some time planning and updating your profile and professional background. Never underestimate the power of a well-written LinkedIn profile.
7. As we mentioned earlier, networking is an important factor that might just land you a dream job in Qatar. Networking with the locals and other expats who are currently in Qatar will give you a whole lot more information than your average online researching.
Qatar Living has a forum that serves as a great platform to connect you with other friendly locals and expats that are more than happy to assist you in your new life in Qatar.
8. Look out for any career fairs happening in the city. Every year, Qatar hosts career fairs to help employers meet potential candidates looking for a job. Print your resumes and approach the companies that you're interested in. Doing a quick background research on the company will be helpful too.
BONUS INFO: If you have Wasta, you will probably find a job quicker in this country. Wasta literally translates to your connections/influence that will give you an upper-hand in helping you secure an interview or a job itself. Networking and doing favors for the other party is recommended to get your Wasta. Bear in mind that it does not come easily.
We hope this info was helpful. If you are currently planning to look for a job here, feel free to comment in the article with some of the questions that you have.
Search Qatar Living Jobs in classifieds!
Congratulations on getting your dream job and wish you all the best for your new job . I hope you will work hard and prove yourself to be a great worker.
can you please list some recommended recruitment agencies in Qatar ?
the best n the ultimate one is WASTA :P :) :D
what are the recruitment agencies in Qatar that I could recommend ?
You get jobs here based on nationality and gender, not qualifications. I personally knew of a female working for one of the largest private company in Qatar as a PA to the CEO. She did not know how to write an email in English and needed help from the support staff to spell out five letter words. She was also from Spain and 24 years old.
Most job advertisements in Qatar are just formalities since most positions are already reserved for a family member or a friend of a friend.