PUBLIC PLACES in DOHA
Hamad International Airport
Hamad International is Qatar’s new airport, opened in 2014 next to the city of Doha and the glittering Arabian Gulf.
Home to five-star airline Qatar Airways, our architecturally stunning, supremely efficient and truly welcoming airport is a genuine gateway to the world, serving over 360,000 flights and 30 million passengers every year.
Our aim is simple. To provide you with a world-class airport experience.
We redefine what passengers can expect from an airport. Qualities such as comfort and ease; facilities such as check-in and entertainment; aspects such as culture and elegance – we want to surprise and delight you at every turn.
That’s why our airport is an architectural masterpiece where innovation and beauty combine. Why our systems are efficient yet simple, and our service thoughtful and generous. In all these we’re proud to represent our nation. Qatar embodies opportunity, ambition, inspiration – and a new era for society. Hamad International Airport is at the forefront of this vision.
We are, therefore, a gateway to the world in more than one sense. Located exactly where east meets west we can connect you to countless cities around the globe – swiftly, smoothly and seamlessly. But we can also connect you to a new way of travelling, to a new kind of airport experience. Welcome world.
10 key facts and figures
- Our airport can welcome 30 million passengers a year. Soon this will be 50 million.
- Of our two runways, the western one is the eighth longest in the world (4850 metres).
- Every hour 100 take-off and landing movements are possible. That means five planes every three minutes.
- Our 600,000 sq metres passenger terminal is Qatar’s biggest building.
- The check-in hall alone is 25,000 sq metres of airy, column-free space.
- It has an incredible 138 check-in counters. 14 of these are styled as private booths (for Qatar Airways First Class passengers).
- Our maintenance hangar is the world’s largest and can take up to 13 aircraft at once.
- This is the first airport ever designed specifically for the A380.
- Our baggage handling system can handle 5000 bags an hour, or 120,000 a day.
- During construction over 6.2 million cubic metres of waste material was removed, desalinated and used as landfill – the Gulf’s largest such environmental project.