ART GALLERIES & MUSEUMS in DOHA
The idea for the establishment of Qatar Photographic Society was conceived when a number photography enthusiasts decided to form an entity that promotes photographic arts in Qatar.
In 1995, the Society was incorporated under the Ministry of Culture, Arts and Heritage, but it is currently subordinated to the Ministry of Youth and Sports. With more than 1,000 members at present, Qatar Photographic Society enjoys the membership of FIAP (Federation Internationale de l'Art Photographique) and the American Photographic Society.
Functions and Roles
Qatar Photographic Society nurtures the photographic movement in Qatar and fosters prominent talents in this area.
Since inception, the Society has organized several activities and realized a great deal of achievements in line with its pursued goals of sponsoring photographers in Qatar, safeguarding the rights of its members, and marketing their works to government department and public and private organizations.
To that end, the Society:
- Holds lectures, seminars, and exhibitions.
- Organizes specialized courses in all areas of photography.
- Hosts professional photographers to deliver photography workshops and courses.
- Oversees Al Thani International Photography Competition.
- Supervises photography competitions
- Represents the State of Qatar in international photographic circles
Qatar Photographic Society has represented the State of Qatar in several international circles specialized in photography.
As a manifestation of community partnership, the Society maintains several partnerships with schools of all three stages, universities, hospitals, charities, government agencies, and public corporations.